New 2021 Resident Visa is launching
The Government has announced the start of a new one-off residence visa pathway from 1 December 2021. In line with the policy, over 165000 people may be available to apply for the 2021 resident visa.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible if you are currently in New Zealand and were here on 29 September 2021. You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- have lived in New Zealand for 3 years or more, or
- earn at or above the median wage ($27/hour), or
- work in a role on one of the shortage lists.
Which visa should you hold to be eligible?
Some temporary work visas including, for example,
- Post Study Work Visa
- Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Religious Worker Work Visa
- Talent (Arts, Culture, Sports) Work Visa
- Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Work Visa granted under s.61 (under certain conditions)
- Some Critical Purpose Visitor Visas (CPVV)
What about children and partners?
You can include your dependent children and partners (including those currently overseas) in your residence application.
When can you apply?
- From 1 December, 2021, if you have already applied for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category and Residence from Work, or have submitted an Expression of Interest under SMC and have included your dependent child (17 or older).
- From 1 March 2022 – all other eligible applicants.
- The applications close 31 July 2022
We will provide more information following further announcements by INZ.